Psyllium husk is one of the simplest, cheapest and healthiest ways to keep your gut in order.
Psyllium is a native plant in Europe, and some part of Africa etc. The Psyllium seed husk contains glycosides and mucilages, and is a great source of water soluble fibre. Such fibre is not digested or absorbed by the small intestine so they can work in the bowels like a sponge, absorbing excess water, and cleansing the waste and toxins. Psyllium Fibre is beneficial for both constipation and diarrhoea. In addition, a diet containing such fibre is considered beneficial for reducing blood cholesterol levels.
- used in gluten-free baking using ground psyllium seed husks to bind moisture and make bread less crumbly
- used whole in their natural state
- dried and chopped or powdered for easier consumption, usually mixed with water or some other fluid
- taken in capsules
- You need at least 32 grams of fiber daily to keep your gut in good shape. However, most people eat only 10-15 grams per day, some even less.
- Too little fiber in you diet may cause constipation, irregular bowel movement, weight gain and many other gut problems.
- Great aid in weight control; if you want to lose weight, psyllium husk and fibers will make the weight loss process much easier and faster because it makes you feel fuller and reduce cravings and hunger.