- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup milled flaxseed or flaxseeds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (or hazelnuts or almonds)
- 2 cups rolled oats if making gluten free make sure to get certified gluten free oats
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 5 tbsp psyllium husk powder
- 1 tsp himalayan salt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds (Optional)
- Grease a (flexible silicone) loaf pan with some of the melted coconut oil. Any loaf pan can be used but silicone makes it easier to remove the bread
- Blend pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and I cup of the oats together to get a fine crumbly mixture. Then combine all dry ingredients together in a large bowl, add wet ingredients in the following order; maple syrup, melted coconut oil, water and mix well until the mixture becomes very thick.
- Spoon into the flexible, silicon loaf pan (or standard loaf pan lined with parchment paper) and level out the top with the back of a spoon. Do not push down too hard.
- Cover and let sit on the counter for at least 2 hours (or overnight) to allow the husk to swell.
- Preheat oven to 175 C
- Place pan on the middle rack and bake for 20 minutes, then remove from loaf pan and bake upside down, directly on the rack for another 40 minutes
Psyllium is a native plant in Europe, and some parts of Africa.
Psyllium husk is one of the simplest, cheapest and healthiest ways to keep your gut in order.
The Psyllium seed husk contains glycosides and mucilages, and is a great source of water soluble fibre. Such fibre is not digested or absorbed by the small intestine so they can work in the bowels like a sponge, absorbing excess water, and cleansing the waste and toxins. Psyllium Fibre is beneficial for both constipation and diarrhoea. In addition, a diet containing such fibre is considered beneficial for reducing blood cholesterol levels.
Psyllium husk is used as a filler/ binder in baked goods as it absorbs moisture really well. When added to other dishes it can become gelatinous, so beware. If you are constipated you can also add a teaspoon to any smoothie.