17 December In Christmas Recipes- Mains, Main Meals by Melanie Gulliver Tags: almonds, Energy, immune, oats, sunflower seeds
FOR THE PASTRY
- 50 g rolled oats
- 100 g spelt flour
- 50 g ground almonds
- 50 g ground sunflower seeds
- 150 ml coconut oil
- pinch of sea salt
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 2-3 beetroot (about 250g)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- a few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 200 g beetroot tops or leafy spinach, washed and shredded
- 1-2 tbsps apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 4 tbsps ground flax seeds
- 150 ml almond milk
- a small bunch of mint, leaves picked and chopped
- 100 g vegan cheese or The Clever Kitchen’s ‘palmesan cheeze’
- 50 g walnuts
- 2 tbsps maple syrup
FOR THE GREEN OLIVE TAPENADE
- Heat the oven to 180C. Blitz the oats in a food processor until you have flour, then add the sunflower seeds, almonds, flour and a pinch of sea salt. Blitz again. Add the coconut oil and pulse until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add 2-4 tbsps. of ice-cold water, a tbsp. at a time, pulsing between each addition until the pastry comes together in a rough ball.
- Form the pastry into a ball with your hands and wrap it in clingfilm. Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Then, place the pastry between two sheets of baking paper and roll it out until you have a rough circle about ½cm thick.
- Lay it over a 25cm loose bottomed tart tin and push the pastry down, until it’s snug, with no air bubbles. Trim off any excess pasty at the top, then prick the base a few times with a fork. Line with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans (or rice) and blind bake for 10 minutes. Carefully remove the baking beans, then bake for another 5 minutes, until golden and crisp. Set aside to cool.
- While the tart is cooking, place a large frying pan on a medium heat. Add some coconut oil and fry the sliced onion for 10 minutes, until soft. Meanwhile, peel the beetroot and grate coarsely.
- Add the garlic and thyme to the onions and fry for about 30 seconds, before adding the beetroot tops or spinach — you may need to add half first and allow it to wilt before adding the other half. Now add the grated beetroot and cook for 5 minutes, until there is no liquid left in the pan. Next add the vinegar and season well, then transfer the lot to a bowl to cool.
- Mix the Nutritional yeast or ‘palmesan cheese’ into the beetroot mixture and scatter over the mint. Pour the mixture into the tart tin, break over the walnuts and drizzle some maple syrup on top. Turn the oven down to 160C and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden.
- Finally, make your tapenade. Chop together the olives, spring onions, walnuts, and green chilli on a cutting board until you have a rough salsa. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the olive oil and lemon juice. Taste and add a pinch of sea salt if needed.
- Serve in generous slices with a dollop of tapenade and shock of peppery green salad leaves. Adapted from a recipe first seen on annajones.co.uk
As originally seen on annajones.co.uk
Share this Recipe
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.